Photo: Reg Natarajan

Travel Requirements for International Visitors

Useful Border, Visa & Passport Information

Border Crossing

Border crossing document requirements have changed. A valid Passport, USA Passport Card, USA Enhanced Driver License (EDL) or an Enhanced ID Card (EDL/ID) is required to cross the USA/Canadian border by land and sea. A passport is required for all air travel. A USA Passport Card or EDL/ID are not valid for air travel.

For current information on USA border and customs requirements, visit the following:

Currency Exchange

  • Travelex Currency Services: five locations at SeaTac International Airport and in downtown Seattle at Westlake Center, located on Fifth Ave and Pine St.
  • Pick up a Foreign Currency Exchange voucher from either of our visitor centers for fee-free currency conversion at Wells Fargo locations at 1620 Fourth Ave (Westlake) or 999 Third Ave (Main). Most banks are also able to exchange currencies for a fee.
  • Currency Exchange Converter

International Student Groups

Effective June 1, 2009, USA and Canadian citizen children under age 19 arriving by land or sea from a contiguous territory and traveling with a school group, religious group, social or cultural organization, or sports team, may also present an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, a Naturalization Certificate, or a Canadian Citizenship Card. The group should be prepared to present a letter on organizational letterhead with the following information:

  • The name of the group and supervising adult,
  • A list of the children on the trip, and the primary address, phone number, date of birth, place of birth, and name of at least one parent or legal guardian for each child,
  • A written and signed statement of the supervising adult certifying that he or she has obtained parental or legal guardian consent for each participating child.




Seattle’s best every month in your inbox

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Book Your Trip

Partner Advertisements