Far more information is available about Nordic American heritage in Seattle than could fit into our printed Cultural Guides. Below are links to essays, books, articles, community organizations and general information about Nordic history in the Pacific Northwest.
History Link, the on-line encyclopedia of Washington State history, has over 50 essays and interviews about Nordic heritage in the state, including:
Independent bookstores such as the Elliott Bay Book Company and the University Book Store have a wide selection of local history books. Gift shops at the Nordic Heritage Museum and the Museum of History and Industry (MOHAI) offer a selection of heritage books as well. The list below is a sampling of works of general interest related to Nordic American culture and history.
- Early Ballard
By Julie D. Pheasant-Albright, Arcadia Publishing, 2007. Part of the Images of America series.
- New Land, New Lives: Scandinavian Immigrants to the Pacific Northwest
By Janet E. Rasmussen, Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1993.
- Nordic Heritage Northwest
Edited by Kristina Veirs, Seattle: The Writing Works, 1982.
- Norwegian Seattle
By Kristine Leander, Arcadia Publishing, 2008. Part of the Images of America series.
- Passport to Ballard: The Centennial Story
By Kay Reinartz, Seattle: The Ballard News-Tribune, 1988.
- Swedish Seattle
By Paul Norlen, Arcadia Publishing, 2007. Part of the Images of America series.
- Touring Swedish America – Where to Go and What to See
By Alan H. Winquist and Jessica Rousselow-Winquist, Minnesota Historical Society, 2006.
- Voices of Ballard: Immigrant Stories from the Vanishing Generation
By Lynn Moen, Seattle: The Nordic Heritage Museum, 2001.
ADDITIONAL SITES, PROGRAMS & EVENTS
- “Nordic Roots and Branches” is a radio show hosted by Karen Pauley, on Tuesdays 8:30 – 10:30pm on KSER 90.7 FM, which features contemporary Scandinavian music.
- Scandinavian Cultural Center at Pacific Lutheran University, Tacoma
The history and culture of Scandinavia is promoted through public events, exhibits and archival collections.
- Oktoberfest Scandinavian Heritage Festival
This annual event at the Puyallup Fairgrounds in Pierce County includes a Scandinavian festival.